Friday, February 18, 2011

Impermanence

Driving home from the movies tonight with my wife, I was thinking about all the things I teach my students, and one word came to my mind:  impermanence.  I asked her, "Do you know what impermanence is?"  And she replied, "Yes, I think so."  Everything in this universe is made of energy, and energy is always changing from one form to another.  Everything is always transforming.  Even my teachings.  The understanding of them will change, as the mind discovers and experiences new things.  The same teachings will have a different meaning according to the growth and experiences of each individual mind.  Days change to night, summer changes to autumn, life to death, and death to life, rainy days to sunny days...and so is everything else that we know.

Even the difficult circumstances and challenges that we experience everyday cannot last.  Sunny days will always appear after the clouds have moved on.  Rainy days are very important to maintain the balance of nature on this planet, so is every challenge that we experience.  Like the rain bringing us this vital element called water, challenges bring us the vital elements to our success.  Always remember on rainy days, that the sun will be coming out soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment